Lemon Bar Flags
You will need:
- ? cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- ? cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 1 ? cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 ? cups granulated sugar
- ? cup lemon juice
- ? cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1 tube red gel frosting
1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan. Prepare the shortbread crust: In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed low, and beat in the flour and lemon rind until well combined; pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Bake the crust 15 minutes, or until golden. Cool the crust in the pan on a wire rack.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the Lemon Filling; In a 2-quart saucepan, mix 1 cup granulated sugar, the lemon juice, water, and cornstarch until well combined. Heat the mixture to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; cook 1 to 2 minutes longer or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat.
3. In a medium-size bowl, with a wire whisk, beat the remaining ? cup granulated sugar, eggs and the lemon rind until thick and lemon colored. Slowly beat the lemon mixture into the egg mixture until well combined. Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
4. Bake the cookies 15 to 20 minutes, or until the filling is firm. Cool the cookies completely in the pan on a wire rack.
6. Cut the cookies into 6 rectangular bars. Place the bars on a serving plate. Sprinkle confectioners sugar over the cookies. Create stripes across the bars with the red gel frosting. Place 6 blueberries in the top corner of each bar.